The 27 abducted students of Government Science Secondary School Kagara, in Rafi Local Government Area of Niger State have been released.
First report from Minna said the released captives and 15 others are on their way to Minna, the state capital.
The report said the 42 abductees were released from a location close to where the fifty-three bus passengers were released a week ago.
Latest report by NAN said the students have arrived Minna amidst tight security.
They were taken to the Niger State Development Company suite to freshen up before being taken to the Government House to be received by Governor Abubakar Sani Bello.
The abductees on arrival were received by the Chief of Staff to the governor, Alhaji Ibrahim Balarabe.
NAN reported that journalists were barred from entering into where the victims were being kept for fear of being interviewed.
“The Abducted Students, Staff and Relatives of Government Science Collage Kagara have regained their freedom and have been received by the Niger State Government”, Bello tweeted on Saturday.
Their release comes just a day after a separate raid on a school in Zamfara state where gunmen seized 317 girls.
Kidnappings for ransom by armed groups, many of whom carry guns and ride motorcycles, are common across many northern Nigerian states.
The recent attacks have raised concern about rising violence by armed gangs and Islamist insurgents.
Jihadist group Boko Haram carries out abductions in Nigeria’s turbulent northeast, as does a branch of Islamic State.
And according to security experts, some of the terrorists may be operating in the North West as well.
The abductions have become a political problem for President Muhammadu Buhari, a retired general who promised in 2015 to secure Nigeria, better than President Goodluck Jonathan.
On Feb. 17, during the abduction, a school pupil was killed and 27 others were abducted around 3 a.m.
Three members of the school’s staff and 12 of their relatives were also abducted.
The abductors in a video had warned government that the abducted could starve to death if government does not play ball.
The Niger State Governor had been adamant that ‘shishi’ he would not pay but the Deputy Governor was in the forest to negotiate with Sheikh Gumi who said they were discussing how to achieve peace.
The parents put together N2.7m but the abductors rejected it because it is peanut money to them.
The leader of the abductors Patmos Media Line had reported said those who sent them were in Government and were briefing them of every plan including possibility of eliminating the bandits but stated boldly that they were not afraid of death.
Rumors were rife that the Kagara workers and students were released last Sunday making journalists to keep vigil at Government House, Minna until Monday afternoon when there no signs of release.
The state Governor told the media at a time that the Federal Government had abandoned them to their fate.
President Buhari Saturday expressed great joy that the abducted Kagara family of workers and students were released.