Afenifere Spokesman, Yinka Odumakin dies of Covid-19 complications.

The news from Lagos is not good as reports say Spokesman of pan-Yoruba socio-political group Afenifere Yinka Odumakin died of complications from COVID-19 at about 10:00 a.m. this Saturday, April 3, 2021.

The activist had been batting for his life since March 10 has also been on ventilator at a treatment centre in Lagos, according to reports.

A report by the news portal said that Odumakin “had serious underlining conditions including diabetes, lung-related issues and a mild stroke he suffered a few years ago.

“He had a lung surgery before he was put on a ventilator.”

The report said that “his case reportedly took a turn for the worse last week, with doctors concluding he had few days left.

“His wife and fellow activist Joe Okei-Odumakin had just been informed of the death shortly before the filing of this report.”

His wife, a popular Activist, Dr. Joe Okei Odumakin, said:“A part of me is gone. A part of me is gone. He fought hard at the intensive care unit. Pray for me to survive this. My love is gone.” “He was OK before. Even on March 10 he was still attending meetings. He was recovering yesterday but he died this morning. I am at the intensive care unit. A part of me is gone.”

She told the media: "It is true, my husband and friend has passed on. The darling of the media is gone.

“He has been battling for his life since March 10 and just when he was improving, a respiratory failure occurred.

“I am still at LASUTH but about to leave now,” she told the paper 'in a shaky and devastating voice'.

Dr. Okei-Odumakin lamented that a big part of her is gone.

She described late Comrade Yinka as an “irreplaceable soulmate”, stating he died of complications from respiratory issues due to complications from COVID-19 from which she claimed he already recovered from.

According to a statement which she later released, “With gratitude to the Supreme Being for a life well spent, I announce the passing on of my beloved husband, Comrade Yinka Odumakin to the great beyond after a brief illness.

“The sad event happened this morning (Saturday, 3/4/2021) at the intensive care unit of LASUTH where he was being managed for respiratory issues due to complications from COVID-19 which he had recovered from about a week ago.

“I appreciate the outpouring of grief and sympathy from home and abroad as I mourn my irreplaceable soul mate.

“Burial arrangement will be made public in due course.”

39 views0 comments