Boko Haram Sponsors are in the Presidency, all security apparatus know them – Former Naval Commander
v The government of Dubai knows the sponsors and they sent lists to the federal government. What did Buhari do?
v We are currently in the worst security situation in Nigeria today. CIA actually didn't trust Buhari before 2015. It took the intelligence community and Tinubu to convince Obama and CIA to accept him. They said he was a bigot and will plunge the country.
A former Navy Commodore, Kunle Olawunmi, has said that Boko Haram terrorists mentioned names of current governors, senators and Aso Rock officials as sponsors during interrogation but the President Muhammadu Buhari has demonstrated an unwillingness to go after the high-profile politicians for reasons best known to him.
Olawunmi spoke on Wednesday when he featured on Channels Television’s ‘Sunrise Daily’ breakfast programme.
He described as an “aberration”, Tuesday attack by bloodthirsty bandits on the Kaduna campus of Nigeria’s foremost military university, the Nigerian Defence Academy, where two military officers were killed and another kidnapped.
“It is an aberration; you don’t attack the Nigerian Defence Academy and get away with it,” he lamented, adding that the NDA, like other military environments in the country, carelessly opens its doors to everyone on Friday for Jumat prayer.
‘Terrorists profile security environments during Muslim prayer on Friday’ Olawunmi said terrorists and criminals profile military environments during the weekly Muslim prayer on Fridays.
He said, “In 2017, I carried out an investigation by the minister of defence that wanted me to check what was going on with the training and the security there (NDA). I remember I spent about a week in the NDA with the commandant and the staff but something struck me: every Friday, the gate of NDA is thrown open and everybody has access to pray in the mosque.
“On Fridays, you are going to see the same thing happening across all military formations in the country…If you go to Defence Headquarters, I served at the Defence Headquarters as the Deputy Director, Defence Administration between 2015 and 2017, throughout my two years at the Defence Headquarters, I received visitors twice because of the strict security architecture there but every Friday, the gate of the Defence Headquarters is thrown wide open for everybody to come in and observe Jumat.
“That is the time the terrorists have the time to profile our security environment. It has always been the case. I have served the military intelligence for the past 35 years. Our problem is religion and socio-cultural.”
Furthermore, Olawunmi, a Professor of Global Security Studies, said he was a member of the Intelligence Brief at the Defence Headquarters during the leadership of the then Chief of Defence Staff, Gen. Abayomi Olonisakin.
The intelligence expert said he told the then CDS that the Centre of gravity of the Boko Haram insurgency ravaging the North-East and spreading to other parts of Nigeria was the sponsors.
“I told General Olonisakin then that the Centre of this problem cannot be solved the same way we solved the problem of the Niger Delta. The Niger Delta problem was solved during (Ex-President Umaru) Yar’adua basically by me and I told them that we can’t use that same template for Boko Haram.
“I told General Olonisakin to look at the centre of gravity of the problem. I was made a member of the committee in 2016-2017 including (the Chief of Army Staff, Lt.-Gen. Ibrahim) Attahiru that died.
“I told them that the centre of gravity of Boko Haram in Nigeria is the sponsors of the programme. It was beyond us because the job we needed to do was kinetic but we cannot resolve issues of sponsors of Boko Haram that were in Buhari’s government that we know them. That was why we couldn’t pursue that aspect that could have resolved the issue (insurgency) because we need to arrest people.”
The Senior Special Assistant to the President on Media and Publicity, Garba Shehu, earlier in the year said the Nigerian Government arrested some Bureau De Change operators who were facilitating the transfer of money to Boko Haram terrorists.
Olawunmi said the government has not been able to prosecute the sponsors because it is allegedly partisan.
He said, “Recently, 400 people were gathered as sponsors of Boko Haram, why is it that the Buhari government has refused to try them? Why can’t this government bring them to trial if not that they are partisan and part of the charade that is going on?
“You remember this Boko Haram issue started in 2012 and I was in the military intelligence at that time. We arrested those people. My organization actually conducted interrogation and they (suspects) mentioned names. I can’t come on air and start mentioning names of people that are presently in government that I know that the boys that we arrested mentioned. Some of them are governors now, some of them are in the Senate, some of them are in Aso Rock.
“Why should a government decide to cause this kind of embarrassment and insecurity to the sense of what happened yesterday (Tuesday attack on NDA)?” he queried, adding that terrorist financiers want to turn Nigeria to a Taliban type of country.
Olawunmi also said that the Department of State Services has “tremendous information on terrorists but they can’t do anything except the body language of the Commander-In-Chief”.
He, however, expressed hope that the next Nigerian President in 2023 might have the willpower to bring the high-profile sponsors of Boko Haram to book.
A former Deputy Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria, Obadiah Mailafia, had said in August 2020 that repentant terrorists revealed that a serving northern governor is a Boko Haram leader.
For over 10 years, the Boko Haram terror group had killed thousands of Nigerians in the North-East. The sect had also burnt down and bombed scores of villages as well as churches. The Nigerian Army and the Presidency had at several times claimed the group had been ‘technically defeated’ and ‘weakened’ but the bloodthirsty terrorist faction continues to strike with daring effrontery and crude savagery.
Here are the points for record keeping.
1. Some Governors, ministers and Senators are sponsors of Boko Haram and the Government knows them.
2. Bureau De Change operators are also sponsors of Boko Haram which is also known.
3. Another security breach is that every Friday NDA and all government institutions are opened for Jumat prayers. They come on Friday for worship. Later they become members of the mess who will later spy on the institution and plan their attack.
4. This government does not want to resolve this problem, rather they are escalating it.
5. The solution is not Kinetic solution but non kinetic. You identified the center of gravity, which had been identified. The center of gravity is the sponsors of Boko Haram and Bandits.
6. Most of these sponsors are known within the intelligence community.
7. The DMI, DSS and Police intelligence knows the sponsors very well. The DSS knows very well with tons of files of those sponsoring evil in this country.
8. The defense headquarters knows all those who are behind the terror going on in Nigeria today.
9. The commander in chief knows exactly what is happening but he is quiet. When a fish is about to get rotten, the head is the first.
10. The end game is to turn Nigeria into a Taliban type of Country. Everyone in the Defense HQ, Army HQ, Naval HQ, and Airforce HQ.
11. The government of Dubai knows the sponsors and they sent lists to the federal government. What did Buhari do?
12. A highly ranked member of this government was interrogated and was found culpable. He is currently a highly rated member of this government.
13. This government wants the government to be Islamized. That is the truth.
14. We are currently in the worst security situation in Nigeria today. CIA actually didn't trust Buhari before 2015. It took the intelligence community and Tinubu to convince Obama and CIA to accept him. They said he was a bigot and will plunge the country.
15. According to Naval Commander Kunle Olawunmi a Prof of Global Security Studies, he said the government directed that all media should be calling them Bandits and unknown gun men so that the international community will be misled that they are not terrorist.
16. Tagging them Terrorists will invite the international community.
17. He added that the government doesn’t want journalists to report the true picture of what is happening in the country.
18. He added that there must be insider collaboration in NDA. There are a lot of irresponsible people in Nigerian Military formations. This is well known.
19. In few hours the people that attacked NDA will be apprehended, but that's not the solution.
20. The Government should have a policy change. The sponsors should be apprehended and brought to justice.
21. There must be a direct change of policy from Islamization to Democracy.
22. This is a tyrannical government. The damage this government is going to do in the next two years will be more than what they have done in the past six years.
23. When asked if his life will be on danger for this expositions, he replied, “I don't care"