Breaking: Another 300 female students kidnapped in Government Girls Secondary School, Zamfara.

While Nigerians were busy discussing cows and herders as well as the Covid-19 pandemic, another terrorist attack took place today at a Government Girls Secondary School in Jangebe, Talatu Mafara LGA, Zamfara state with about 300 schoolgirls kidnapped, Patmos Media Line reports.

The kidnap, this time took place at the girls’ school around 2a.m on Friday, 26th February 2021.

Scores of the terrorists were said to have overrun a military checkpoint close to the school before storming the school. Several soldiers were said to have sustained injuries.

It was not clear whether some fatalities occurred. However, it was gathered that said vigilantes are now on the heels of the kidnappers to rescue the schoolgirls.

Zailani Bappah, Special assistant to Governor Bello Matawalle on public enlightenment confirmed the kidnap to BBC Pidgin.

Governor Matawalle had been an advocate of amnesty for kidnappers negotiating with them as the terrorists carry arms in public glare.

It was the fourth of such massive kidnap by terrorists in Northwest Nigeria, starting from the abduction last December of over 300 students from a government college in Kankara, Katsina state.

Recall that on 14 February, 53 passengers of a bus coming from Kontagora to Minna, Niger state were kidnapped, after the terrorists ambushed their bus. The passengers, including children were freed following ransom payment.

On 17 February, 27 students and 15 others were also kidnapped in Kagara. They are yet to be released from captivity.

And from the statement by Governor Abubakar Sani Bello, the terrorists are demanding ransom payment before releasing their victims.

The Kidnappers of the Kagara workers and students Patmos Media Line had reported warned that the kidnapped may die of starvation if Government does not pay the ransom fast.

The gang leader had boasted that those who sent them are among the government people and they therefore know every plan of government especially to kill them after securing the students.

The parents of the kagara students had gathered N2.7m which was outrightly rejected by the kidnappers who described it as peanuts.

Nigerians have continued to criticize the Buhari-led government over its inability to curtail the increasing insecurity across the country even as school children continue to be a target for armed attacks.

It was the fourth of such massive kidnap by terrorists in Northwest Nigeria, starting from the abduction last December of over 300 students from a government college in Kankara, Katsina state.

Niger state has also experienced two of such kidnapping by terrorists this month.

On 14 February, 53 passengers of a bus coming from Kontagora to Minna were kidnapped, after the terrorists ambushed the bus.

The passengers, including children were freed following ransom payment.

On 17 February, 27 students and 15 others were also kidnapped in Kagara.

The captives are yet to be released.

And from the statement by Governor Abubakar Sani Bello, the terrorists are demanding ransom before releasing their victims.

The first kidnap of schoolgirls occurred in Chibok, Borno state on 14-15 April, 2014. It was executed by Boko Haram terrorists.

About 276 schoolgirls were taken away, an action that shocked the world.

Up till now, 112 of the girls are still missing.

Then on 19 February, 2018, the terrorists stormed Government Girls’ Science and Technical College in Dapchi, Yobe State.

They kidnapped 110 schoolgirls aged between 11 and 19 years old. The girls were released in March, after ransom was paid.

Five girls also died during the abduction.

But one of their captives, Leah Sharibu, a Christian has not been released.



52 views0 comments