The so much injured National Sports Festival (NSF) will now kick off on January 3 and end on the 17th of same month after being laid off the field due to Covid-19 induced injuries.
Special Assistant to the Minister of Youth and Sports development, JJ Akanji who revealed this on Thursday evening via WhatsApp confirmed, “Jan 3rd to 17 subject to adherence to covid-19 protocol decision was arrived at after a virtual meeting between PTF, NCDC, Minister of Youth and Sports Development Mr. Sunday Dare on Thursday. “
Few weeks ago, the National Council of Sports (NCS) scheduled the festival to hold between December 3 and 18, 2020, but members of the Presidential Task Force later objected.
Sports Minister, Sunday Dare addressing Sports Journalist in Abuja on Thursday.
The Honorable Minister of youth and sports, Sunday Dare had earlier today told sports journalists in Abuja during the FCT SWAN Week seminar that the festival was not postponed indefinitely.
The news airwave was saturated with report on the cancellation of the festival by the PTF.
The new date, as expected, is however, subject to adherence to all Covid-19 protcols to ensuring that the virus does not escalate after the festival.
The Edo State Deputy Governor, Shuaibu had hinted that host state Edo may ask the federal government for compensation for allowing several postponement as it was obvious that the December 3 starting date was no more sacrosanct.
He said convulsive postponements were not good for the psyche of Nigeria’s sports men and women who had hit camp preparing to win laurels in Benin.
Governor had assured that a standby clinic was available for any unforeseen circumstances Covid-19 may spring.