F. A. Cup 3rd round, Liverpool drowns Coronavirus devasted Aston Villa 4-1: Wolves 1 Palace 0.

Liverpool FC Friday compounded the woes of the Coronavirus depleted Aston Villa club whipping the makeshift team 4-1 in the 3rd round of the FA Cup.

It was a match of youthful energy of the Aston Villa Team whose major players are struggling under the Coronavirus yoke paving way for the youngsters versus the vastly experienced Liverpool guys.

Senegalese Captain got a brace in the 4th and 63rd minutes but a Lonie Barry strike had ended the first half at 1-1 draw.

Liverpool scored three goals within six minutes: Gerginnio got Liverpool’s 2nd goal at 60 minutes before the Mane brace at 63rd minute and Mohammed Sallah wrapped up the game with a quick chip from Xherden Shaqin assist. Shaqin assisted Sane in the second goal hunt.

In another 3rd round match, Wolves devoured Crystal Palace by alone goal scored 35th minute by Adama Traore from a Neves assist.

The Wolves versus Crystal Palace encounter saw three yellow cards flying. James McAuthur got one for Liverpool while two went to Rayan Noun (62’) and Morgan Gibbs-White for Palace.

Some matches will be decided Saturday and Sunday in the F. A. Cup 3rd round. It is the oldest trophy orcompetition in football history.

But back to the Villa travail, the club was forced to close their training ground on Thursday and there were concerns they would have to forfeit their match against Jurgen Klopp’s team.

It is understood that no first-team players will take part in the match, with reports saying 10 players in the first-team bubble had tested positive.

Instead, under-23s coach Mark Delaney is expected to oversee a side made up of under-18 and under-23 players.

The outbreak at Villa also raises questions about how and whether their upcoming Premier League matches can go ahead.

They are due to face Tottenham on Wednesday and are then up against Everton on January 16.

There are growing concerns over whether the Premier League season can be completed on schedule as infection numbers spike in Britain.

Record high 40 positive tests were detected among Premier League players and staff in the week between December 28 and January 3.

Newcastle’s match against Aston Villa last month was the first top-flight fixture this season postponed by a coronavirus outbreak at a club.

Steve Bruce’s side lost captain Jamaal Lascelles and winger Allan Saint-Maximin for a long spell as they suffered the after-effects of the virus.

Lascelles is fit for Saturday’s FA Cup clash with holders Arsenal but Saint-Maximin is still waiting for the all-clear to return to training.

Magpies manager Steve Bruce questioned the morality of playing on as the pandemic worsens.

“The speed which it hit our club within a week, and ripped through, is something which all clubs will be looking at now,” he said.

“It’s difficult to contain and it leaves people sick. Financially it’s right to play on but morally, for me, it’s probably wrong.”

Southampton’s FA Cup match against Shrewsbury is off after a Covid-19 outbreak at the League One club.

Wayne Rooney’s Championship side Derby will fulfill their fixture at non-league Chorley with a youth team after nine positive tests among first-team players and staff.

- Eniola Olatunji.

5 views0 comments