The Presidential Task Force on COVID-19 has revealed that no fewer than 40 health workers have tested positive for the virus.
Minister of Health, Osagie Ehanire, disclosed this at the daily briefing of the task force in Abuja, Thursday afternoon.
Also, in his opening remarks at the briefing, chairman of the task force and Secretary to the Government of the Federation, Boss Mustapha, called on private health facilities that have the capacity to treat COVID-19 patients to apply to the federal ministry of health for accreditation.
Ehanire disclosed that all the infected health workers are undergoing treatment in various isolation centers across the country.
He said an undisclosed number of health workers are also in varying stages of quarantine having exposed to the virus.
The minister bemoaned the fact that the development has robbed the country of the much needed services of the affected health workers at this crucial period.
He therefore advised health workers to adhere strictly to the established safety guidelines while attending to patients during the period of the pandemic.
He said, “I applaud all our health workers in the frontline of the COVID-19 pandemic and the government will continue to provide you with the necessary protective equipment.
“I urge you all to take all the necessary precautions for your own safety; please do not try to treat patients without using adequate PPE.
“Frontline workers must undertake refresher courses training in IPC at intervals. This advice is necessary due to the number of health workers who have tested positive – they are over 40 now.”
The minister also disclosed that the country has so far tested over 9000 persons and has continued to ramp up its testing capacity.