Two bodies related to power distribution and the federal Ministry of Power have insisted that the anticipated free two months power supply to Nigerians would be the absolute responsibilities of the Federal Government.
Nigeria’s Ministry of Power said that no decision has been reached, on whether citizens will get two months of free electricity. “If and when that becomes a reality, it shall be announced officially.
“Be rest assured that FG is exploring ways to ameliorate any hardship on Nigerians,” a tweet read.
The Association of Nigerian Electricity Distributors (ANED) in another breathe says the free energy to be supplied for two months is not free by the DisCos, but will be paid for by the Federal Government. Mr. Sunday Oduntan, the Executive Director, Research and Advocacy of ANED, made this known in a statement in Abuja.
Oduntan told the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) that the DisCos made the clarification due to questions that have arisen around how the cost that will accumulate will be absorbed in the Nigerian Electricity Supply Industry (NESI).
He said that the DisCos had earlier announced aligning with the federal government and NASS efforts to provide free electricity for two months as a palliative for the effects of the Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic on Nigerian electricity consumers.
According to him, the ability for the DisCos to go forward with planned free electricity is subject to the stimulus package being passed by the National Assembly and signed into law by Mr. President.
He said that the palliative seeks to mitigate the economic challenges that Nigerians are being subjected to during this COVID-19 period.
“It is our hope that we do not lose sight of the no-cost reflective tariff challenges that the DisCos continue to suffer under. Regardless, we laud President Muhammadu Buhari and members of his government and the National Assembly for this initiative,” the ANED official said.
- Eniola Olatunji.