Lagos releases King of Ogboni, Tajudeen Bakare, drop charges against him.

Feelers from Lagos says the State Government has dropped charges against detained Yoruba Nation Protester, Tajudeen Bakare (Oba Ogboni)

Tajudeen Bakare, one of the arrested protesters during the Yoruba Nation rally in Lagos, was been charged with murder.

Bakare, who identified himself as a chief of the Ogboni Fraternity, was charged by the police for the death of Jumoke Oyeleke, a sachet water seller killed by a stray bullet during the protest at the Ojota area of Lagos State on Saturday, July 3, 2021.

Ilana Omo Odua Worldwide, one of the organisers of the rally, said a total of 48 Yoruba Nation protesters arrested on Saturday 3 July, 2021 in Ojota, Lagos, have been arraigned before a Magistrate Court sitting in Yaba.

A spokesman for the group, Maxwell Adeleye, said the protesters were charged with unlawful assembly, unlawful society and conducts likely to cause a breach of public peace.

Adeleye disclosed that the bail granted to all the protesters was upheld by the court but that of Bakare was revoked.

He said the court has referred Bakare’s case to the Director of Public Prosecutor (DPP) for further advice.

Tajudeen Bakare, who was arrested by the police during the Yoruba Nation rally however claimed that he was not part of the protest.

The Lagos State Commissioner of Police, Hakeem Odumosu, paraded 49 suspects who allegedly participated in the protest, including Bakare and his Ogboni members.

While briefing the press at the command headquarters in Ikeja, the police boss said “unfavorable intelligence” prompted the state government and the police to kick against the protest.

Bakare said he was returning from worship when the police accosted him and his members, arresting them as members of the Yoruba Nation agitators.

He said, “I am Tajudeen Bakare, the king of the Ogboni in Lagos and I have my members. Every first Friday is worship day for us. It starts at 11 pm and finishes around 5 am. I am the owner of the Jeep and my members were also in the car.

“But because we did overnight work, we couldn’t go home. So, we had to sleep until 10.30 am when we left for Ikorodu. We were on our way when somebody called to say that my money was available and told me to come to 7up to collect it. But as we were returning, and were descending from the bridge to link the Ikorodu Road, the police stopped us.

“The first set of police that stopped us checked my vehicle and told us to go, but it was unfortunate when the second set of police stopped us and after checking my vehicle said we could not go.

118 views0 comments